Saturday, September 19, 2009

Recession Depression


I hate recessions. I miss trips to the mall. I miss going out for dinner whenever the whim strikes. I miss sipping martinis at the local hipster bar. I know it is silly. I walk past my favorite places, jealous of all those happy diners, enjoying the dinner I should be there eating. Instead, I am going home to eat a bland healthy dinner with a delicious glass of water. I know recessions aren't forever, but I cannot take the overwhelming pressure to save money. I feel like I might crack under this weight, speed to the nearest mall, and max out an entire credit card just to feel like a participating member of society. Isn't Democracy based on consumerism? It is Un-American to avoid malls and eating establishments.

Today I wandered through the local Kohl's, trying on outfits, looking at new bedding. I was so close to making a purchase, when that damned voice kicked in, "Mle is this a need or a want? If you spend now, you will regret it later." So I put my purchases back, frustrated by the thought of the lucky customer lurking behind me, waiting to scoop up that great deal the minute I put it back on the shelf. Perhaps I need a counselor, or group therapy. Maybe there is a multi-step program for this. I can fill my shopless evenings eating stale donuts with others, sharing my story. "I'm Mle and I'm a victim of the Recession. It has been 2 weeks since I last ate out." Oh, the horror!

No comments: