Saturday, August 30, 2008

Time is Money




So I've started donating plasma at the local Biolife Center. I wish I could say I was doing it to save lives or for the medical advances that my donation will assist with, but really, I'm more concerned with getting my money. I want to know what the special incentive is each month to ensure I will make my two donations a week. How much money can I make in one month donating plasma? How fast can I make my donation? Time is money. I'm watching the guy next to me who was already started before I came in. I am pumping plasma far faster than him. I passed him up in the first 10 minutes. Obviously someone forgot to hydrate today. I mean, I know it isn't a competition but I'm pumping like a pro on my 3rd visit. And when I scan my finger on the sensor on my way out, I see a $40 addition to my Biolife Visa.



I find that I am far more concerned with what I eat now that I am donating. And not because I care about the quality of my plasma. Having been a vegetarian for the past 11 years, I have always been deficient in my iron and protein counts. I was never too concerned. but now, now it is worth money to take care of myself. I watch my protein and iron levels, try to stay healthy, avoid drinking before a donation day, because if I don't take care of myself, I won't get paid.



And let's pause a moment to discuss the word donation. All the people in Biolife from the phlebotomists to the medical historians to the other donors, call it a plasma "donation." And yes, I am willingly giving my plasma, but in exchange for money. It is similar to my arrangement with the Cofrin Library. I "donate" my time and skills for 8-10 hours a day and they pay me. But in that situation we don't call it a donation, we call it a job. So while it nice and every one feels good calling it a donation, is it really?



Who cares though, I got my $40. And I'm thinking I'll add this to my resume under volunteer experience.

2 comments:

tradeGertrudesMom said...

OK... Have you or anyone you know had both arms stuck...the first of mine was inserted totally perpendicular to the vien and was them moved back and forth like she was making a show angle wing... then when I voiced some comment(within her hearing only) she said OK...Lets start over...and she stuck the other arm slick as you please and directly into vien...this was by a pro. some kind of message??

The Freakin' Deacon said...

Awesome post. I especially like the comment about "donating." Maybe its because we're talking about bio-goods. But then again, are we "donating" to the waste facility every time we make a "deposit?" hrmmmm...I'll get back to you.